Re: [K12OSN] Slow Booting LTSP Clients - K12LTSP5EL

Stephen Crampton wrote:

I'm using the same machine. I just switched hard drives (same make and model).

I'm using the 6 install CDs (the install DVD would not burn on my system -- too big).

The installation stops and says I do not have any hard drives. The BIOS recognizes the hard drive and indeed I can boot from it.

The motherboard says M2V-MX SE on it. I searched around and found reference to a sata_via module. I tried adding the module through the Centos installation menu (where it says, "do you want to add any hardware modules?"). However, the installation still fails a few screens later (after I choose English language and keyboard and LTSP system). It says there is no hard drive again.

Have you tried flipping options in the BIOS related to the SATA. Some BIOS need to enable or disable "legacy" ATA in order to work properly with older kernels like CentOS 5.

http://wtogami.livejournal.com/27610.html
You might also want to try the Fedora LTSP5 Live USB. This is more likely to install without issues and booting. You could within minutes install and boot to serve thin clients.

http://petre.homedns.org/f9-ltsp/draft3-jpg/
Latest draft of the setup instructions is here.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2008-September/msg00068.html
Unfortunately, if this is the same hardware as you describe here, as others point out you likely need gigabit ethernet and a gigabit ethernet uplink to your switch for this to be of any benefit.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com