RE: [K12OSN] Slow Booting LTSP Clients - K12LTSP5EL

Stephen, I ran into a similar problem on an ABIT AMD board with the Phoenix AwardBIOS when installing K12LTSP EL5. What I had to do was first set my BIOS boot order (under Advanced BIOS Features – on my system) to SATA 1,2 , SCSI. Then I had to set the VIA OnChip IDE Device (under Integrated Peripherals – on my system) Onboard SATA 1,2  to Enabled and SATA Mode to RAID, although I only have one drive installed. This allowed K12LTSP EL5 to see the SATA drive on my system.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions about my BIOS settings let me know.

Charlie

From: Stephen Crampton [mailto:SteveSings gmail com]
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 01:05 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: [K12OSN] Slow Booting LTSP Clients - K12LTSP5EL

I'm using the same machine.  I just switched hard drives (same make and model).

I'm using the 6 install CDs (the install DVD would not burn on my system -- too big).

The installation stops and says I do not have any hard drives.  The BIOS recognizes the hard drive and indeed I can boot from it.

The motherboard says M2V-MX SE on it.  I searched around and found reference to a sata_via module.  I tried adding the module through the Centos installation menu (where it says, "do you want to add any hardware modules?").  However, the installation still fails a few screens later (after I choose English language and keyboard and LTSP system).  It says there is no hard drive again.

Please help.  I didn't mean to start flames between K12LTSP and Edubuntu.  I'm just trying to get a working system.  I have parents coming in on Monday night, so I'm working this weekend to try and iron out the problem.  I would like them to come away saying, "Wow, this is cool.  Why is the school district spending money on Windows software?"