Re: [K12OSN] eth0 and eth1

Stephen Crampton wrote:

Could someone please explain how an LTSP system decides how to use eth0 and eth1?

The same as any Linux system: by using the route table.

For instance, if I pull up firefox and type in cnn.com, over which interface does my request go out?

That depends on your routing table. See the output of the 'route' command.

Which interface is serving DHCP and TFTP requests?

On K12LTSP it is eth0, I guess Edubuntu is simila.

/etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf doesn't seem to provide the answer. The DHCP script under /etc/init.d refers to a variable $INTERFACES, but I cannot figure out where that variable is initialized.

I'm assuming that, in the default case, firefox sends requests over both interfaces, but dhcpd only uses eth0. But how do I determine whether this is true or not for my system?

Read up on TCP/IP routing. Individual applications (e.g. Firefox) don't decide this.

Nils Breunese.