[K12OSN] LTSP Lab Slow to Boot

Edwardson Pedragosa aimssda at cscoms.com
Mon Sep 8 03:03:54 UTC 2008

Warren, here is another person that is having the same problems I had with
Edubuntu 8.04.1. Note that the same issues with the DHCP server; not working
or working very slowly.

Burke, I wish I had an answer for you. I tried for several weeks to get this
same issue resolved on the Ubuntu forums with no luck. In my opinion, the
Edubuntu support is very limited at best.  Ubuntu/Edubuntu also has video
and networking issues that you will sooner or later encounter. A quick
Google will confirm the video issues. These are all directly related to the
design of this distribution. Ubuntu needs to spend less time trying to be
the next Mac or Windows and try making their distribution reliable, stable,
and usable.

I switched to the K12LTSP EL5 and have had no problems with performance or
reliability. Red Hat is a much more reliable and stable platform. Bleeding
edge is for those that have a lot of time and like to play with new stuff.

I recommend you make that move soon too, before you waste a lot of time as I
did on trying to work through bugs that the vendor doesn't have time or
interest in fixing...

Hi,

I tested edubuntu 2 weeks ago and the same issue, it's very slow (clients). Some thin clients didn't even boot up. So I switched back to K12ltsp EL5 which is centos based. And all my clients are running smoothly.

I also tried k12linux but it's still in it's development stage so I also erased it. But I noticed that all my clients (Dell Optiplex GX100) booted without further configurations.

Regards,
Edward TH