[SPAM] MEDIUM * Re: [K12OSN] bootup slow -- nfs server not responding

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:

On Monday 08 September 2008 12:07, Rob Owens wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:

Are you up to date with the current 5.2 updates?  I think one of the
fairly recent kernel updates had NFS performance fixes - I'm not sure if
it will help with this issue, though.

All up to date -- except for the kernel.  I have that excluded in
yum.conf in order to avoid reboots. I'll update and reboot tonight and
see how that goes.  Thanks for the advice.

-Rob

Bear in mind that mainstream GNU/Linux distros--unlike MS Windows-- do not force a reboot after you update the kernel. So, you're safe in letting that
happen.  Fortunately, kernel updates aren't super-common anyway.

But sometimes they do fix local root exploits (like a couple of months ago), so I guess you subscribe to the updates announcements mailinglist to stay on top of these things.

Nils Breunese.