Re: [SPAM] MEDIUM * Re: [K12OSN] bootup slow -- nfs server not responding

On Monday 08 September 2008 12:25, Nils Breunese wrote:
> Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
> >>
> >> All up to date -- except for the kernel.  I have that excluded in
> >> yum.conf in order to avoid reboots.  I'll update and reboot tonight
> >> and
> >> see how that goes.  Thanks for the advice.
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >
> > Bear in mind that mainstream GNU/Linux distros--unlike MS Windows--
> > do not
> > force a reboot after you update the kernel.  So, you're safe in
> > letting that
> > happen.  Fortunately, kernel updates aren't super-common anyway.
>
> But sometimes they do fix local root exploits (like a couple of months
> ago), so I guess you subscribe to the updates announcements
> mailinglist to stay on top of these things.
>
> Nils Breunese.

Oh, I agree.  Personally, I update the kernels on my boxes every time.
There's a reason Linus & Co. put out fixes, and unlike "other dev teams",
it's not to hurt us.  It's to help us.

If someone wants to avoid doing reboots, then this way--bringind down the
kernel update anyway, but scheduling your reboots, say, monthly--is, I think,
a good compromise between Rob's desire for uptime, while still getting all
your bug fixes.  If something does come in on the updates announcements
mailing list, then you can do "emergency" maintenance (read: a
non-regular-interval reboot at night).

--TP