Re: [K12OSN] bootup slow -- nfs server not responding

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
On Monday 08 September 2008 12:07, Rob Owens wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
Are you up to date with the current 5.2 updates?  I think one of the
fairly recent kernel updates had NFS performance fixes - I'm not sure if
it will help with this issue, though.
All up to date -- except for the kernel.  I have that excluded in
yum.conf in order to avoid reboots.  I'll update and reboot tonight and
see how that goes.  Thanks for the advice.

-Rob

Bear in mind that mainstream GNU/Linux distros--unlike MS Windows--do not force a reboot after you update the kernel. So, you're safe in letting that happen. Fortunately, kernel updates aren't super-common anyway.

I think yum is also smart enough not to delete your running kernel even if it is configured to only keep 2 and you've updated several times without rebooting. That means even if an update installs a new kernel that doesn't work you will be able to boot your working version by selecting it at the boot prompt. Unbootable update kernels are unlikely from CentOS, but I've had several from Fedora on certain hardware.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell gmail com