Re: [K12OSN] A New direction for LTSP: Diskless Remote Boot

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Warren Togami <wtogami redhat com> wrote:
Robert Arkiletian wrote:
Hello list,

I know local app support is in the works BUT

I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking it would be a good idea to
have an option (or even a distro) which runs EVERYTHING on the client.
Much like DRBL http://drbl.sourceforge.net/. The reason for my
suggestion is that I feel the days of Terminal Servers are numbered.
With the advent of Intel Atom like cpus, it now becomes possible to
retain the energy efficiency of previous generation thin clients AND
have enough cpu muscle to run a full desktop. As time goes on these
cpus are only going to get faster. They are already fast enough and
very affordable.

Meanwhile could someone analyze how the tools/pieces of DRBL works and report back here?

I would second Robert's observation that DRBL is something to model. You may recall that I discussed this with you earlier this year, Warren, while you were visiting UH.(1)  I suggested then that DRBL handled the Flash issues, solved the need for central authentication, and provided goodies like Clonezilla to boot, literally.  From a development roadmap, I don't know how to go about combining it with Fedora.  I do know that it seems to solve a lot of problems.  It uses a lot more NFS mounts, and you can boot many distro flavors.

When one controls the Etherboot Menu by Mac address, as DRBL permits, the ability to centrally manage a complete fat, thin, thick, and imaging network is nearly limitless.

--scott

(1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7OskEcBM40