[K12OSN] Setting up FC9 LTSP5 and Active Directory integration

Steve Krause krauses at deerpark.wednet.edu
Thu Sep 11 21:21:44 UTC 2008

I am trying to setup several LTSP servers for our school district.  I have previously setup a couple on FC6 and LTSP 4.2 and they are workable, but trying to upgrade OpenOffice.org and Firefox has been problematic.  I would like to build new servers on FC9 and LTSP 5.  The hitch is configuring Active Directory integration to allow students and staff to login using existing AD accounts and accessing the existing home directories.  It works well on the FC6 servers, but I am having no luck on FC9.  I heard there are problems with the version of Samba that comes with FC9 connecting to Win2003 AD.

I have the set of files modified for FC6 from /etc, /etc/pam.d, /etc/samba, /etc/security and have tranferred them to the FC9 server.  Following all the same steps, client logons appear to work and even create home folders, but then the client drops back to the DM login screen.

We are also trying to use KDE and Kiosk Admin Tool to manage/lockdown the student desktops.

Any help on either of these fronts, but especially the AD logins, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Krause, CNE
Network Manager
Deer Park School District #414