[K12OSN] A New direction for LTSP: Diskless Remote Boot

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 18:20:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Terrell Prude' Jr.
<microman at cmosnetworks.com> wrote:
> +1 on that.  The demos that I do are for overseas US State Dept. schools that,
> to my utter surprise, don't have a big budget, despite the fact that they're
> the schools where diplomats' kids go.  Go figure.
>
> I've had two such schools convert to K12LTSP precisely because they could
> reuse existing hardware.  They're typically using Pentium II-450 boxes as
> EtherBooting LTSP thin clients (boxes of that vintage often don't support
> PXE).

All of you make good points. As I replied earlier, I am not suggesting
that we remove any functionality but rather see if we can *add* an
option to k12linux where we can boot in diskless workstation mode
based on mac address.

That way you don't have to choose one or the other for an entire lab.
If you had some newer machines, you could specify by mac which ones
would work as regular ltsp and which by diskless workstation mode.

--
Robert Arkiletian