Re: [K12OSN] A New direction for LTSP: Diskless Remote Boot

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Terrell Prude' Jr.
<microman cmosnetworks com> wrote:
+1 on that.  The demos that I do are for overseas US State Dept. schools that,
to my utter surprise, don't have a big budget, despite the fact that they're
the schools where diplomats' kids go.  Go figure.

I've had two such schools convert to K12LTSP precisely because they could
reuse existing hardware.  They're typically using Pentium II-450 boxes as
EtherBooting LTSP thin clients (boxes of that vintage often don't support
PXE).

All of you make good points. As I replied earlier, I am not suggesting
that we remove any functionality but rather see if we can *add* an
option to k12linux where we can boot in diskless workstation mode
based on mac address.

That way you don't have to choose one or the other for an entire lab.
If you had some newer machines, you could specify by mac which ones
would work as regular ltsp and which by diskless workstation mode.
I have to say that we would absolutely find a diskless workstation mode useful. I have been wanting to respond to this thread all week, but have hesitated.

I live in a city that has a very robust school donation program from which we can get nearly new machines from very high tech companies. I can think of a few apps that totally bog down our lab (25 clients) when everyone uses the same app -- tuxmath for one. If we could use a diskless workstation mode when using these types of applications, it would be awesome.

Robert, maybe you should change the subject line to A New Addition to LTSP; Diskless Remote Boot instead of A New Direction.

Rita Gibson
RMSELTech