[K12OSN] LTSP Lab Slow to Boot

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Sep 13 01:26:53 UTC 2008

Based on the studies I and others have done, a 100Mb line from the
server to the clients will support up to 10 clients _at_idle_. The
bandwidth of a live X connection is simply too high to support more. You
can do about 70 on a single Gb line. Each TC eats about 7Mb for an idle
connection. Load up Firefox with flash on a web page or a big
heavyweight like Gcompris of TuxMath and the bandwidth soars to 50-70 Mb

Now add to this that the connection between each client and the server
is fully encrypted. The encryption adds to the load about an additional
5-8% plus a pile of CPU overhead on both ends.

You need to use Gb NIC(s) on the server and a switch with a Gbit port
for each Gbit NIC on the server. Then you can do NIC bonding and get
some bandwidth downstream. If you get a managed switch, look for 802.3ad
capability as that is hardware support for link aggregation (joins 2 or
more ports to make a FAST pipe!). Otherwise use bonding mode 4 or 5
(which is switch independent).

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 12:52 -0400, Crampton, Stephen C. wrote:
> The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC
http://www.localnetsolutions.com