Re: [K12OSN] LTSP Lab Slow to Boot

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 9:36 PM, James P. Kinney III <jkinney localnetsolutions com> wrote:
People: you MUST do some engineering on these installations. You can't
just expect every machine you have to run off a crappy little
network/server/used hard drive, etc. The TC environment is CPU
intensive, VERY RAM INTENSIVE and a substantial impact on network
bandwidth. I've been there, done that and I can't emphasize enough to
spend the $$ on the server and switches and go cheap on the clients. The
little, tiny clients will not drain the network as badly as they run
slower and can't be such hogs. If the clients are 2GHz machines, that X
server is gonna FLY!! Which means it's pounding the server for data.

I have a technical question that I'm not sure of the answer to.

I have two 24-port 10/100mbs switches that each have two gigabit ports, in addition. I also have two servers.

Here was my original plan: link the two switches with gigabit and use the other gig port on each switch to go to each server. That worked well.

In the meantime, I got access to a server with SCSI disks and hardware RAID, so I decided to use it for my home folders. I'm now running the servers' 192.168... nics to an 8-port gig switch in the server room that the file server is also connected to and I'm connecting that switch to one of the gig ports on the two switches that are in the lab.

How much of a hit am I taking, and should I even worry about it?

Thanks,
Todd