[K12OSN] LTSP Lab Slow to Boot

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 16:16:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 9:36 PM, James P. Kinney III <
jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:

> People: you MUST do some engineering on these installations. You can't
> just expect every machine you have to run off a crappy little
> network/server/used hard drive, etc. The TC environment is CPU
> intensive, VERY RAM INTENSIVE and a substantial impact on network
> bandwidth. I've been there, done that and I can't emphasize enough to
> spend the $$ on the server and switches and go cheap on the clients. The
> little, tiny clients will not drain the network as badly as they run
> slower and can't be such hogs. If the clients are 2GHz machines, that X
> server is gonna FLY!! Which means it's pounding the server for data.

I have a technical question that I'm not sure of the answer to.

I have two 24-port 10/100mbs switches that each have two gigabit ports, in
addition. I also have two servers.

Here was my original plan: link the two switches with gigabit and use the
other gig port on each switch to go to each server. That worked well.

In the meantime, I got access to a server with SCSI disks and hardware RAID,
so I decided to use it for my home folders. I'm now running the servers'
192.168... nics to an 8-port gig switch in the server room that the file
server is also connected to and I'm connecting that switch to one of the gig
ports on the two switches that are in the lab.

How much of a hit am I taking, and should I even worry about it?

Thanks,
Todd