Re: [K12OSN] LTSP Lab Slow to Boot

See inline...

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Terrell Prude' Jr. <microman cmosnetworks com> wrote:
On Saturday 13 September 2008 12:16, Todd O'Bryan wrote:

> I have a technical question that I'm not sure of the answer to.
>
> I have two 24-port 10/100mbs switches that each have two gigabit ports, in
> addition. I also have two servers.
>
> Here was my original plan: link the two switches with gigabit and use the
> other gig port on each switch to go to each server. That worked well.
>
> In the meantime, I got access to a server with SCSI disks and hardware
> RAID, so I decided to use it for my home folders. I'm now running the
> servers' 192.168... nics to an 8-port gig switch in the server room that
> the file server is also connected to and I'm connecting that switch to one
> of the gig ports on the two switches that are in the lab.
>
> How much of a hit am I taking, and should I even worry about it?

To help answer this, I'll need a little more info.  If I understand you
correctly, the "192.168..." NICs on both of your LTSP servers (you don't
specify this, so I'm by necessity making an assumption here) are your "eth0"
interfaces for talking to your thin clients.

You're correct. They're not actually eth0 (we were having driver issues with the onboard eth0 NIC, so they're eth2, I think), but they're the interface that talks to all the thin clients.

Furthermore, both of these eth0 interfaces are now on the 8-port Gig-E switch.
Additionally, you have this newly acquired, SCSI-disk-equipped file server
that is on this same Gig-E switch, and all of this constitutes a single
broadcast domain which houses only the 192.168.x.x subnet.

BTW, which specific 192.168.x.x subnet are you using--is it 192.168.251.0,
192.168.33.160, 192.168.2.128, etc?  I don't see that specified.  And what is
the subnet mask?

I'm in room 202, so my local network is

192.168.202.1 = server1 (application server)
192.168.202.2 = server2 (application server)
192.168.202.3 = server3 (file server with /home which is NFS mounted to server1 and server2)
192.168.202.101 - 130 = the thirty thin clients (assigned by MAC address so I know the IP of each client)

I'm not sure what the subnet mask is set to (and I actually don't know what it's used for, so guidance would be appreciated if there a particular setting that would be useful). I think it's 255.255.255.0, but I'd have to check to be sure.

server1 and server2 also have separate NICs that plug into the school network, get an IP using DHCP and are what we use to access the wider internet.

Finally, you have this 8-port Gig-E switch uplinked to a Gig-E port on the two
switches in the lab (another, separate room).

Is all of this correct, or am I misunderstanding something here.

Correct. Actually, servers 1, 2, and 3 are in a storage closet in my room so they can be behind a locked door and the thin clients are in the room proper. The 8-port gig switch is in the closet with the servers and the 2 24-port switches with 2 gig ports each are in the room.

Sorry I wasn't more clear in the earlier post,
Todd