Re: [K12OSN] School Server

Timothy Legge wrote:
Hi

I am pricing some servers and it is amazing the hardware you can get
now.  I look after a Boy's and Girls club that might be similar to
some schools.  We have staff and kids; up to now we have separated the
kids from the staff by using separate servers with each having a
separate network using the same internet connection.

However, since I am pricing a replacement server for the kids I
wondered whether the separation might not be necessary.  I could get
one server to do the 30 or so clients or just continue to break it up
with 10+ staff clients and 20+ kids clients.

The security side of me says to keep the kids as far from the staff
server as possible but on the other hand, for the same money, I could
go with two server and have fail over/load balancing.

Any thoughts?

Tim

I'm with you on the security concern. One for the kids, one for the adults. That's especially so, given that the adults are presumably conducting B & G Club business on the staff server. At a minimum, they're probably doing some online banking or buying stuff online.

Remember that the biggest considerations for LTSP servers are as follows:

1.)  sufficient DRAM,
2.)  sufficient network bandwidth, and
3.)  plenty of CPU.  Multiple cores are a major plus here.

You don't need a fancy "server grade" box for this. Both Intel and AMD make monster quad-core chips now, with Intel somewhat in the speed lead. DRAM is cheap, and copper Gig-E is cheap. Just build a couple of boxes w/ 4GB DRAM each, thus realizing yet further savings *and* knowing that you picked good hardware.

--TP