[K12OSN] OT - Getting Ubuntu 8.04 to Authenticate from LDAP Server

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Wed Sep 17 07:51:40 UTC 2008

Hey,

Can someone tell me the procedure to get an Ubuntu 8.04 workstation to
log in via LDAP?  In what seem to be the most authoritative instructions
I can find it says to fire up ./smbldap ldapclient and "answer a few
questions".  I can't find ldapclient or find a way to install it on
Ubuntu.  I've tried a method where I'm editing all sorts of pam auth
files by hand and it's not working and for some reason my workstation
still logs in, but it's incredibly slow now.

Also, does anyone know if XP Home Edition can use LDAP for
authentication, or can only XP Pro do it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ck