Re: [K12OSN] OT - Getting Ubuntu 8.04 to Authenticate from LDAP Server

This is from memory - I am not in front of a client.  I have done this a lot recently, and I am pretty sure it is right.  Ubuntu, beginning with 8.04, introduced a good tool for authentication.

If you will be mapping home from the LDAP server, then mkdir /home/$ldapexport
vim /etc/fstab and add ldapipaddress:/home/$ldapexport /home/$ldapexport nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,intr=14,timeo 0 0
sudo apt-get install nfs-common portmap

then

sudo apt-get install ldap-auth-config
The install will prompt you for your LDAP settings.  Then, after install, run
sudo ldap-auth-client -a -p lac_ldap
to inject those variables
logout.  Then either
1. ctrl+alt+F1, login, sudo mount -a, exit, ctrl+alt+F7,
2. Reboot

Now try entering a user with a shared home directory on the ldap server.

Hopefully this helps a bit

--scott