[K12OSN] OT - Can't authenticate Ubuntu 8.04 to LDAP server

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Sat Sep 20 00:40:58 UTC 2008

Hey Folks,

I've been trying for weeks to set up an LDAP server.  I've got the
feeling that they LDAP server is working, but I'm not sure.  I am sure
that I can't get my Ubuntu 8 test client to authenticate from it.  Is
there anything like a troubleshooting procedure for this?  Is there a
way to test my connection to the server from the client short of
rebooting and trying to log in?  (Make sure I'm not having firewall,
dns, etc. issues?)

Also, I kindof think my test client is fairly hosed from all the conf
file editing I've done.  I've tried uninstalling ldap-auth-config and
reinstalling it, but it doesn't ask me questions when I reinstall.  Is
there a procedure for "resetting" all the files that pertain to logging
in (the stuff in pam.d, etc.), so that I can try reconfiguring for LDAP
authentication from scratch again?  Right now my client takes forever to
log in (locally), so testing is a real pain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ck