Re: [K12OSN] Need help transfering EL5 from desktop to laptop

2008/9/21 Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com>:
> grub-install /dev/sda
> The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly.
>
> Can anyone determine why I'm getting the above error?

I've gotten similar errors when I tried to restore GRUB from a rescue cd.

I have found that a solution is to install LILO from the install CD to
boot the system, and then install GRUB from a system that is already
running its own kernel on its own root FS.

If you do want to install GRUB straight from the rescue CD, you have
to make sure that a lot of files describing the running system are
correct. At least you have to mount /sys and /proc inside the chroot,

so:
mount -t proc proc /proc
mount -t sysfs sys /sys

Your mtab also has to be correct but that seems to be the case already.

Reinier