[K12OSN] 1 nic k12ltsp 6.0

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Sep 22 14:39:53 UTC 2008

Will Hatch wrote:
> I have k12ltsp successfully running on a Dell Optiplex 745 with one NIC.  I am accessing it with DevonIT thin clients.  I have fixed the ip address as 192.168.3.112, and with the DevonIT thin clients all I had to do is create a session to access the linux terminal server.  It works beautifully!
>
> What I'm wondering though is how do I tap into my k12 box from a traditional computer?  I have a Windows Server 2008 box handling DHCP and DNS in the school.  We are using a Windows network for terminal services also, and this is our primary platform.
>
> I guess I"m looking for something like the remote desktop connection.  It would be nice to get the k12 box from other places in the school, besides the lab where the DevonIT clients are located.
>
> Thanks!

Glad you're having success with K12LTSP.  Note: if you're running
K12LTSP 6.0, I think everyone on this list would recommend that you move
to 5.0EL as soon as you possibly can.  The reason is that Fedora Core 6
(the basis of version 6.0) is no longer supported with security updates
since December 2007.  Version 5.0EL, on the other hand, will get
security updates until 2014.

Now, to answer your question, we'll need to know what OS these
"traditional computers" are running, e. g. a GNU/Linux distro, FreeBSD,
Mac OS, etc.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate