Re: [K12OSN] 1 nic k12ltsp 6.0

You can also access the server via vnc, for which there are Windows clients. Avoid getting too many clients connecting this way, as they extract a greater load on the server than an equal number of thin clients. But for a small number of Windows boxes that only need infrequent access to the server, it works quite well.

Peter

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
In that case, it'll be more difficult (Microsoft Windows generally is), but it's still possible. What you need is something called an X11 server that you install on your MS Windows boxes and point them at the LTSP server. It'll do an "XDMCP" (X Display Manager Control Protocol) query to your LTSP box, which is running GDM, KDM, or XDM. The G/K/XDM will answer the X11 server on the MS Windows box and say, "Oh, you're making an XDMCP query! You must want a login screen. Here you go." And you will see the K12LTSP login screen.

The reason that GNU/Linux or *BSD boxes are so much easier here is that they generally come with X11 servers, namely XFree86 or X.org. That's *one* reason why it's so easy to use old Power Macs or UltraSPARCs as LTSP thin clients, BTW (processor architecture is irrelevant to X11, by design). Essentially, if you can make an XDMCP query, BOOM, you're in.

I'd suggest Googling for "XDM" and "MS Windows" or something along those lines. That'll probably turn up an XDMCP-supporting X11 server. Hummingbird used to make an X11 server for Win32, but I don't know if they still do.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate antivirus protection!

Will Hatch wrote:
Sorry I omitted this important information.  All of these computers run
either windows 2000 professional or windows xp.
Does 5.0EL have all of the educational software added to it?  Is it an
upgrade, or do I need to do a fresh install?
"Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman cmosnetworks com> 9/22/2008 10:39 am

Will Hatch wrote:
I have k12ltsp successfully running on a Dell Optiplex 745 with one
NIC.  I am accessing it with DevonIT thin clients.  I have fixed the ip
address as 192.168.3.112, and with the DevonIT thin clients all I had to
do is create a session to access the linux terminal server.  It works
beautifully!
What I'm wondering though is how do I tap into my k12 box from a
traditional computer?  I have a Windows Server 2008 box handling DHCP
and DNS in the school.  We are using a Windows network for terminal
services also, and this is our primary platform.
I guess I"m looking for something like the remote desktop connection.
 It would be nice to get the k12 box from other places in the school,
besides the lab where the DevonIT clients are located.
Thanks!

Glad you're having success with K12LTSP. Note: if you're running K12LTSP 6.0, I think everyone on this list would recommend that you move to 5.0EL as soon as you possibly can. The reason is that Fedora Core 6

(the basis of version 6.0) is no longer supported with security updates

since December 2007. Version 5.0EL, on the other hand, will get security updates until 2014.

Now, to answer your question, we'll need to know what OS these "traditional computers" are running, e. g. a GNU/Linux distro, FreeBSD,

Mac OS, etc.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate antivirus protection!

*********************************** PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including attachments,
is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary,
recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution
is strictly prohibited. If you're not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this
communication and destroy all copies. It is the policy of ANWSU not to discriminate on the basis or race,
color, religion, national origin, gender, disability, or gender
orientation in its educational programs or activities, or in its
employment policies as required by Title IX of the 1972 Educational
Amendments, by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, by Title
VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and by Vermont State Law.