Re: [K12OSN] 1 nic k12ltsp 6.0

This has nothing to do with GNOME or KDE.  Rather, it has everything to do with the fact that you're using an XDMCP-compatible display manager.   For example, I use the KDM display manager (I just like its look better) and choose the GNOME, XFce, or KDE (or even FVWM at times) desktops as I please.  Depends on my mood that day.

Assuming that you're using GDM, note that XDMCP's already turned on, since your thin clients work.  Do make sure you're using this "Xming" correctly, though.  I don't use MS Windows, so I won't be much help there (anybody else out there doing this?).  But that's where I'd check first.  Maybe there's a config setting somewhere in it.

If you want a second check to verify that your XDMCP's working, then take a GNU/Linux or BSD box (or Solaris or anything else with X11), start it without the GUI (that's runlevel 3 in RedHat/Fedora, runlevel 2 in Debian), and do an XDMCP query manually.  You'd do it like this:

    X -query w.x.y.z

where w.x.y.z is the IP address of your K12LTSP server.  If that works, then the issue is with Xming.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU?

Will Hatch wrote:
I followed those instructions, but no luck.  I am using Gnome, not KDE.
Are there similar config files for Gnome?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman cmosnetworks com> 9/22/2008 2:15 pm

Two minutes of Googling yielded this link (hint hint).  This guy's
doing
Xming logins to Linux boxes.  Might help in your case.

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/linux-login-with-a-windows-box-and-xdmcp-15547

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!

Will Hatch wrote:

I installed xming to my Windows XP Pro workstation, and everything
seemed to install correctly.  I have two icons on the desktop; xming

and

xlaunch.  When I start xlaunch it prompts me to connect to a server.

I'm typing in the ip address of my k12ltsp server, but nothing

happens.

Is this a firewall or selinux issue on my k12 box?  Do I have to tell

my

k12 box to accept remote logins?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman cmosnetworks com> 9/22/2008 1:32 pm

Will Hatch wrote:

Does 5.0EL have all of the educational software added to it?  Is it

an

upgrade, or do I need to do a fresh install?

Red Hat states that you *can* do an in-place upgrade, but that even
they
recommend a fresh install.  That's what I do.  Matter of fact, just
last
week, I finally upgraded my home server (also a single-NIC system)

from

4.2EL to 5.0EL via a fresh install.

And yes, 5.0EL does indeed have all the educational software on it.

That's the point of K12LTSP.  :-)  Anything that you see that you

need,

just "yum install" it, or use YumEx (I like YumEx).

--TP

***********************************
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including

attachments,

is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary,
recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or

distribution

is strictly prohibited. If you're not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this
communication and destroy all copies.
It is the policy of ANWSU not to discriminate on the basis or race,
color, religion, national origin, gender, disability, or gender
orientation in its educational programs or activities, or in its
employment policies as required by Title IX of the 1972 Educational
Amendments, by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, by

Title

VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and by Vermont State Law.