Re: [K12OSN] still banging my head against Ubuntu 8 authenticating against LDAP

Carl Keil wrote:
So,

When I run "ldapsearch 10.0.1.252 domain.com -x" on the LDAP server, I get a list of all the people in the LDAP database. When I run the same search from the client I get a message saying that it can't contact the LDAP server. I've dropped the firewall on the server and I can ping the server. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? How do you tell LDAP to listen to outside ports?

As far as I know, two things will block access to an ldap server.
1- Either the firewall is not allowing traffic in on port 389 . This you can check with iptables -nvL. You should see a line ACCEPTing packets from whoever should be able to query the ldap server. (I'm not sure what you mean by "dropped the firewall..." ?)
or
2- Access limited by "access" rules in your slapd.conf file (/etc/openldap/slapd.conf). The default, if there are no access rules, is to allow everyone read access, and only the root user to write.
Thanks,

ck