[K12OSN] School Server

Timothy Legge timlegge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 01:05:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Rob Owens
<rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com> wrote:
> I also agree with Terrell that you don't necessarily need server
> hardware.  I have a desktop-class whitebox computer that serves about 16
> clients right now.  Here's my recommendation for a budget LTSP server:

I have gone the desktop route in the past and it is workable but is
not as scalable as some of the server class machines.

I have pretty much decided on the following:

Quad Core Intel(R) Xeon 2.0GHz, 1333MHz FSB
Memory 	4GB
Hard Drive 	Mirrored 146GB, 3Gbps, SAS, 3.5 inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive
Network Adapter 	Dual Embedded Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet NIC

My only concern is whether the SAS drives will be supported.  Any thoughts?

Tim