Re: [K12OSN] OT: bash scripting - check for permissions, check for existence of file in directory tree

Rob Owens wrote:

Nils Breunese wrote:
Rob Owens wrote:

Nils Breunese wrote:
Rob Owens wrote:

2) I need to check for the existence of a file somewhere in a directory
tree (with lots of subdirectories).

----
find <directory> -name <filename>
----

I thought of that, but suspected there might be a better way. Guess I
was wrong.

Better in what way?

I'm not actually looking to find a file and output it, I need to perform
some action if a file exists.  Since I don't know where the file is, I
guess I've got to find it first...

Then use the -exec option to find:

Use {} as a placeholder for the filename if you want to use it in your action. Say you want to output the contents of the file to the screen:

	find <directory> -name <filename> -exec cat {} \;

Nils Breunese.