[K12OSN] School Server

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Sep 25 01:12:37 UTC 2008

Timothy Legge wrote:

>>> SAS is well supported (shows up as SCSI drives). I recommend changing
>>> from Intel to Opteron as LSTP is very memory intensive and Opteron kicks
>>> the teeth out of Intel for memory intensive operations. That on-chip
>>> memory controller cuts 2 clock cycles out of a fetch process.
>>>
>> I considered Opterons but for some reason I could only configure dual
>> cores on dells web site.  I will review that again...
>>

> Actually now that I think of it, I thought that the Intels had gotten
> the edge in the last year or so with the multicore.
>
> Tim

They have.  Intel is essentially wiping the floor with AMD, in pretty
much every way except for slightly more power usage with the mobo
chipset.  For an LTSP server with all-out performance, Intel's the way
to go.

On the other hand, I'd do every thick client with AMD's tri-core Phenom
and AMD's integrated ATI graphics chipset, now that the specs for ATI
graphics are once again open.  Phenom tri-cores are certainly fast
enough for any school's thick client--yes, including the GIMP/Photoshop
class.  Graphic chipset performance becomes a lot more important.
Intel's CPU's may be faster, but AMD/ATI RadeonHD graphics kicks Intel's
integrated one in the posterior, and for less money.  And the RadeonHD
3-D drivers are continuing to improve....

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!