Re: [K12OSN] School Server

Timothy Legge wrote:
On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Timothy Legge <timlegge gmail com> wrote:

Tim

SAS is well supported (shows up as SCSI drives). I recommend changing
from Intel to Opteron as LSTP is very memory intensive and Opteron kicks
the teeth out of Intel for memory intensive operations. That on-chip
memory controller cuts 2 clock cycles out of a fetch process.

I considered Opterons but for some reason I could only configure dual
cores on dells web site.  I will review that again...

Actually now that I think of it, I thought that the Intels had gotten
the edge in the last year or so with the multicore.

Tim

They have.  Intel is essentially wiping the floor with AMD, in pretty much every way except for slightly more power usage with the mobo chipset.  For an LTSP server with all-out performance, Intel's the way to go.

On the other hand, I'd do every thick client with AMD's tri-core Phenom and AMD's integrated ATI graphics chipset, now that the specs for ATI graphics are once again open.  Phenom tri-cores are certainly fast enough for any school's thick client--yes, including the GIMP/Photoshop class.  Graphic chipset performance becomes a lot more important.  Intel's CPU's may be faster, but AMD/ATI RadeonHD graphics kicks Intel's integrated one in the posterior, and for less money.  And the RadeonHD 3-D drivers are continuing to improve....

--TP
Do you GNU?