Re: [K12OSN] OT: bash scripting - check for permissions, check for existence of file in directory tree

What about using the locate command (which is much faster) in a
script? And then testing if the command returned successfully, e.g.

locate somefile
if [ $? -eq 0 ] then
# successfully located somefile
# operate on the file (or check that it is part of the correct
directory structure?)
fi

$? returns the success/failure of the immediately preceding command.
and if run updatedb each night, locate will work for any but the most
recent files?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins