Re: [K12OSN] OT: check case and format of filename

Rob Owens wrote:

Since list has been kinda slow lately, I'll test your patience with one more scripting question. You guys have really helped me learn a lot in
the past couple of days.  I've been looking into bash parameter
expansion, awk, and sed, but I'm not really sure I'm going in the right
direction.

I need to check a filename for a particular "format" or "convention".
File names should look like this:

AB12D89-S123--revA
AB12D89-S123--revA--page1

In other words:

1)  They should be all uppercase and numeric before the '--'
2)  They must contain '--revX', where X is any uppercase letter, and
'rev' must be lowercase.
3) There is an optional --page# at the end, where # is any number, and
'page' must be lowercase.

I can work out the logic of testing for compliance with my rules, but
I'm not sure how to identify the case of each letter, nor how to split
the filename up using '--' as the divider.

Thanks for any advice you might have. By the way, this is to be part of
a bash script (which is to be run on my K12LTSP box).

Do you need a function that returns true or false depending on whether a string (filename) complies with the format or do you need something that returns all filenames in a directory that do or do not comply or something? Did you already figure out that you're probably looking at using regular expressions? http://www.regular-expressions.info/ has a lot of info on regular expressions.

Hm, this is starting to feel like work. This is your last free question, next time I'll send you an invoice. :o)

Nils Breunese.