[K12OSN] School Server

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Sep 26 12:18:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 09:03 -0300, Timothy Legge wrote:

> >> SAS is well supported (shows up as SCSI drives). I recommend changing
> >> from Intel to Opteron as LSTP is very memory intensive and Opteron kicks
> >> the teeth out of Intel for memory intensive operations. That on-chip
> >> memory controller cuts 2 clock cycles out of a fetch process.
> >
> > I considered Opterons but for some reason I could only configure dual
> > cores on dells web site.  I will review that again...
>
> Actually now that I think of it, I thought that the Intels had gotten
> the edge in the last year or so with the multicore.

Intel multicore chips still use an external memory controller chip.
While they have had a stable quad-core on the market longer than AMD,
the performance of the Intel systems is overall unchanged in the aspect
of memory/cpu bandwidth. In summary, if the application calls for large
amounts of data through put from CPU to PCI bus peripherals, use Intel.
If the application calls for high task swapping or other RAM intensive
operations, use AMD.

The K12LTSP currently is a high memory, high task swapping problem so
AMD is more suited. As things transition to more process running on the
clients (as they ramp up in horsepower) then the server side will change
to PCI bus access and network throughput, Intel's area.

> Tim

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC