[K12OSN] Re: FireFox not responding

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sun Apr 19 19:49:28 UTC 2009

Mel,

I never could figure out how to make this delima more automated. This
may make things a tad bit easier for you. As root on the server you can
run;
ps aux|grep firefox-bin
this will of course return the firefox running processes. If say user
jimsmith is having this message you simply look for jimsmith and write
down the PID#. Say his process number is 12345.
Next just do a;
kill -9 12345
Now jimsmith can log onto the server and use firefox with no hiccups.
This will at least get you away from having to drill through home
folders deleting the .mozilla/firefox dot folder.
There should be some way of automating this with a shell script but I am
not smart enough to figure it out. the only way I could figure it out
was to kill ALL firefox processes at a user login which would result in
all kinds of teachers !@#$%^^,you know the drill.
Actually at school the only time we ever get this is if over the weekend
we have a power outage(which happens quite regular at one of the older
schools) and someone was left logged in. So this is very rare we end up
with a hanged firefox session for a user.
Hope this helps some.

Barry Cisna