[K12OSN] Re: More feedback on Fedora 10 + LTSP

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 21:57:20 UTC 2009

On 04/22/2009 11:41 AM, Warren Togami wrote:
> On 04/22/2009 10:08 AM, Sean Harbour wrote:
>> Also, some processes seem to hang around forever after a student logs
>> out. After a week, the process list "ps aux | wc -l" balloons from
>> 173 with one user after a reboot to over 1500 with one user logged
>> in.
>
> What processes specifically are persisting beyond logout?

/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop
pulseaudio daemon run by GNOME autostart from this file is not actually
used by the thin client session.  This pulseaudio runs
/usr/libexec/pulse/gconf-helper, which can keep processes leftover after
logout.  In my tests however they seem to die within a minute of logout,
but your logs indicate they sometimes don't.

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/pulseaudio/0.9.14/3.fc10/
I built a new pulseaudio for Fedora 10 that prevents pulseaudio daemon
from running upon desktop login when it wouldn't be used due to
PULSE_SERVER being set.  This should improve it a little bit.  Please
upgrade this ON YOUR SERVER and let me know if it improves that part.

But it seems there are other bugs of other processes not dying after
logout.  Please identify those and tell the list.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com