[K12OSN] Installing a 1TB Drive on Centos 5

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Thu Apr 23 22:03:37 UTC 2009

>   Carl Keil wrote:
>> Hey People,
>>
>> Is there anything special I need to do to install and format a 1TB
>> drive?  I installed a 500Gig drive on an older Fedora installation a
>> while ago and it wouldn't see the whole drive until I increased the
>> block size, I'm hoping I don't have to do that on this server.  Is a
>> 1TB drive basically plug and play on 32 bit Centos 5.
>>
>> Also, how would you fdisk and format it?  Would you do anything
>> special filesystem-wise?  I'm pretty new to >300 Gig drives.
>> Thanks so much,
>>
>> ck
>
> Shouldn't be anything special necessary.  I routinely do 1TB and 2TB
> partitions on RAID arrays with CentOS and RHEL.  Your 1TB drive should
> be plug 'n' chug.
>
> Now, as to how to partition it, well, that depends on how you're going
> to use this drive on this system.  Can you give us any details on that
> so we can best advise you?
>
> --TP

Well, I didn't want to get into specifics because this isn't exactly
educational.  I'm going to be using this drive as storage for MythTV
recordings.  So, mostly huge files bigger than 5Gigs each.

BTW - Here's what I'm talking about.  This doesn't look right to me.
First I fdisk I typed n for new partition, I selected primary, I
numbered it 1, then I took the defaults for first and end block.  Then I
hit "w" to write it to the partition table.  Then I did the following.
That looks like an awfully small partition to me.  What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

[root at kitkat ~]# mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
mke2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
122109952 inodes, 244190000 blocks
12209500 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=0
7453 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
16384 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632,
2654208,
        4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872, 71663616, 78675968,
        102400000, 214990848

Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (32768 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 20 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
[root at kitkat ~]# df /dev/sdb1
-                       513468       124    513344   1% /dev