[K12OSN] public school technology budgets

Steven Santos Steven at SimplyCircus.com
Wed Apr 29 19:00:56 UTC 2009

Since I am looking at opening a charter school...

State says that the complete tech budget should be between $135 and $250 per year per pupil, plus a start-up of about 1.5 years use.

Out of this should come:

- Tech Support
- Hardware replacement (5 year cycle)
- Software licensing
- Database licensing
- Internet access
- Web Hosting
- Printing

In our budget we are putting in $207 per pupil for the 50 students and 8 staff we want to start with, or $12k per year, and $22k initial investment.

Here is our breakdown:

Initial Costs:
2  LTSP Servers        $8,000
1  MS2k7 Server+lic    $4,000
2  24 Port Gb switches $1,000
1  Wiring of building  $1,000 (parents doing labor)
35 terminals           $7,245

Total:		     $21,245

- Tech Support 	     $0 (parent is doing it)
- Hardware replacement $2,000 (5 year cycle)
- Software licensing   $1,000
- Database licensing   $2,000
- Internet access      $1,200
- Web Hosting          $  800

That still leaves us with 6K/year to work with.

---
Steven Santos
Director, Simply Circus, Inc.
 Email: Steven at SimplyCircus.com