[K12OSN] Guide to enabling Local Apps support?

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Sat Apr 4 13:33:27 UTC 2009

One point you may want to make in your presentation is that having a 'one
architecture to fill all wants' is really expensive, and frankly rather
wasteful. Viewing flash video is nice, but how much time each day/week/month do
the kids actually spend doing that? Word processing, presentations, non-flash
web browsing (e.g., flash isn't needed for reading Wikipedia), etc., probably
consume a greater amount of kids' computer time in school, and on LTSP can be
done so cheaply, both in software & hardware, that it is practical to put
computers everywhere (put a lab in each classroom if you want).  IOW, Linux can
provide what is needed 90% of the time at 10% of the cost; Windows eats 90% of
the budget but only adds value 10% of the time.  Perhaps a small Windows lab is
necessary for those edge cases, but the primary architecture should be LTSP.

Peter