[K12OSN] RAID Question

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Apr 7 03:47:07 UTC 2009

_______________________________
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!

Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:
>
>>> Am I missing a step to get the drives to act as a RAID? I thought
>>> hardware raid was only suppose to report the unified array to the OS
>>> so it wouldn't see two drives?
>>>
>> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#fakeraid
>>
>> You didn't mention your distro, but support for these quasi-RAID chips
>> varies widely w/ your kernel and dmraid version. The dmraid tools are
>> probably required here. Good luck!
>>

> I am running Centos 5.3 on this machine.  The link you posted
> recommended not using the RAID controller at all but using software
> raid -- I was always under the impression that hardware was better in
> all circumstances.
>
> I will try using dmraid now.
>
> Thanks
> Joseph

Well, they're right...IF it's a *real* hardware RAID.  Unfortunately, a
lot of these aren't.  A good example of a real hardware RAID is the LSI
Logic 150-6 SATA, which I use.  Virtually all SCSI RAID cards are real
hardware RAID, with the exception of the LSI 8200 series (8300 and up
are the real McCoy).

In your case, unless your budget allows for buying a real card, I'd go
with Linux's own software RAID.

--TP