Re: [K12OSN] RAID Question

_______________________________
Do you GNU?

Joseph Bishay wrote:
Hello,

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us> wrote:

Am I missing a step to get the drives to act as a RAID? I thought
hardware raid was only suppose to report the unified array to the OS
so it wouldn't see two drives?

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#fakeraid

You didn't mention your distro, but support for these quasi-RAID chips
varies widely w/ your kernel and dmraid version. The dmraid tools are
probably required here. Good luck!

I am running Centos 5.3 on this machine.  The link you posted
recommended not using the RAID controller at all but using software
raid -- I was always under the impression that hardware was better in
all circumstances.

I will try using dmraid now.

Thanks
Joseph

Well, they're right...IF it's a *real* hardware RAID.  Unfortunately, a lot of these aren't.  A good example of a real hardware RAID is the LSI Logic 150-6 SATA, which I use.  Virtually all SCSI RAID cards are real hardware RAID, with the exception of the LSI 8200 series (8300 and up are the real McCoy).

In your case, unless your budget allows for buying a real card, I'd go with Linux's own software RAID.

--TP