Re: [K12OSN] Introducing ourselves

  Hi Terrell,

thanks for your help. Sure I will follow your suggestion and, in future, buy printers with on-board Ethernet, but for the time being I'm stuck to the current HP LJ 1015 and CM 1312, and there's no budget for more... A possibility is to let a chubby terminal to act as a printing server. In fact, my Fedora 8 PC that shares the CM 1312 printer is visible by both server and thin clients and everyone can print on it. Yet, it still tastes of centralized printing, not exactly the same as enjoying local printers.

Terrell Prudé Jr. ha scritto:
Gianugo Altieri wrote:
I have a couple of wishes in my list, for K12. First of all, I would like to be able to connect printers to thin clients. In fact, for safety reasons, server resides in a closed room, and it would be impractical to connect a printer to it. A convenient location for printers would be beside clients, but it seems clients cannot "see" USB printers, or at least our HP laser. Strangely enough, clients recognize USB pen-drives, but not USB external DVD readers, so I can't figure out why some USB peripherals are working ad some aren't.

Hello and welcome, Gianugo,

An easier idea might be to get some network printers, i. e. printers with network cards in them. Then, you can place the printers wherever you want, including beside a client if you wish, but they would still be "connected" to the K12 server through Ethernet. This is how we have our printers set up at work, and I do the same at home. It's great.

--TP