Re: [K12OSN] Introducing ourselves

Ah yes, budgetary issues do get in our way sometimes, don't they?  :-)

Fortunately, there are inexpensive devices called "print servers" that can turn any printer with a parallel or USB interface into a network printer.  This is very useful for "older" printers that don't have on-board Ethernet.

The device that I use is the TrendNet TE100 series.  Since my printer is an HP LaserJet 6L (a parallel printer), I use the model TE100-P1P.  For USB printers, you'd use the TE100-P1U.  Either version should be less than US $50.00.  I found my TE100-P1P for US $35 on sale last year, and the devices have proved to be very Linux-friendly.

Here's a link.  They have them in both wireless and wired Ethernet.  I much, MUCH prefer the wired versions.

  http://www.trendnet.com/products/products.asp?cat=46

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU?

Gianugo Altieri wrote:

  Hi Terrell,

  thanks for your help. Sure I will follow your suggestion and, in future, buy printers with on-board Ethernet, but for the time being I'm stuck to the current HP LJ 1015 and CM 1312, and there's no budget for more... A possibility is to let a chubby terminal to act as a printing server. In fact, my Fedora 8 PC that shares the CM 1312 printer is visible by both server and thin clients and everyone can print on it. Yet, it still tastes of centralized printing, not exactly the same as enjoying local printers.

Terrell Prudé Jr. ha scritto:
Gianugo Altieri wrote:
   I have a couple of wishes in my list, for K12. First of all, I would like to be able to connect printers to thin clients. In fact, for safety reasons, server resides in a closed room, and it would be impractical to connect a printer to it. A convenient location for printers would be beside clients, but it seems clients cannot "see" USB printers, or at least our HP laser. Strangely enough, clients recognize USB pen-drives, but not USB external DVD readers, so I can't figure out why some USB peripherals are working ad some aren't.

Hello and welcome, Gianugo,

An easier idea might be to get some network printers, i. e. printers with network cards in them.  Then, you can place the printers wherever you want, including beside a client if you wish, but they would still be "connected" to the K12 server through Ethernet.  This is how we have our printers set up at work, and I do the same at home.  It's great.

--TP