[K12OSN] RAID Question

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 21:36:17 UTC 2009

Hello,

As per everyone's recommendation, I removed the fakeraid hardware and
plugged the drives right into the motherboard and used the built-in
Linux software RAID.  Everything seems to be working very well!  I
appreciate everyone's recommendation on this issue.

I have a follow-up question -- the RAID is made up of 2 refurbished
drives we were able to obtain (cost issues).  I'd like to find a
command / program that I can use to test them / stress them while they
are still in their warranty period (90 days).  I've done some research
and came across a lot of options: Bonnie++, badblocks, fsck, smartctl
-t, etc etc.

I'm not sure what is best to use -- I guess I want something that will
check to see if there are any existing current issues and something to
put the drives under some tests to see if any issues arise.

The other side of that question is: will the drives being in RAID
affect these tests at all? Should I run the tests on the RAID array or
should I dismantle the array, run the tests, then re-enable the array?

Thank you!
Joseph