[K12OSN] No Frames until Desktop Effects fail

I have several terminals that are successfully using desktop effects - they're all running Diskless Workstations 1500 series terminals. I have several other terminals, all Diskless Workstation 1200 terminals, that don't appear to be able to take advantage of desktop effects. I'm fine with that - if the hardware can't support it then no bigee, but I'm not fine with how things are working.

When the 1200s boot all of the apps load frameless (can't resize, no min / max /close buttons). In order to get the frames back I have to run Desktop Effects (System, Preferences, Look and Feel) and select Enable Desktop Effects. After the terminal attempts to enable effects, and fails, then my frames get created. This is really a pain, as it has to be done after each reboot. Is there a way to make the selection permanent? Thanks in advance,

Dunc