Re: [K12OSN] RAID Question

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

After that I test
the disk controller  by formatting them...
This may be a superstition going back to the old days of having tracking
information laid down in the formatting step - and controllers with
slight differences, but I always do a low-level format on scsi drives
when I move them to a machine with a different controller type or if I
don't know where they were before.  It probably really isn't necessary
any more but it does give the drive a chance to remap any questionable
blocks transparently.  With IDE and SATA, I'm not sure if this is even
possible.

Yes, it is possible. Spinrite from Gibson Research is an unbelievably good
product. I've been using it in its evolving incantations forever (since my
first IBM PC XT) and it works. It is especially good at fixing track
layout to mach the drift of the heads. Worth the money and then some.
julius

But is that relevant any more? I thought current drives had permanent servo tracks embedded separately from the data and the heads followed them instead of having their own stepper concept. If you have to spend money, I'm inclined to just toss the old questionable stuff and replace it since things have gotten so much better in the last few years.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com