Re: [K12OSN] directory services in a Linux centric cross platformworkstation environment

eDirectory coupled with OES2 and Domain Services for Windows will handle just about all of that. The best part is you don't have to install Windows Server.

>>> Hoover Chan <chan sacredsf org> 4/16/2009 10:12 AM >>>
The subject line is quite a mouthful but that's pretty much the question I'm mulling over right now.

I've been bombarded by proponents of Active Directory for Windows and Open Directory for the Macintosh with all the different neat network applications that become easy to implement and manage if only I switch the servers to the appropriate platform. Does anyone here have a mostly Macintosh and Windows workstation environment that integrates well with an OpenLDAP type Linux centric server? If so, how hard is it to build?

A lot of my colleagues at different schools locally seem to come from using AD as their core directory service and then "bend" everything to adapt to that. I'd hate to be forced into building a Windows server just for AD...

Thanks in advance.