[K12OSN] More feedback on Fedora 10 + LTSP

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Apr 22 01:16:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 17:35 -0400, Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM, James P. Kinney III
> <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> > Lastly: you mentioned hyperthreading cpu's. If they are _really_
> > hyperthreaded and not full multi-core, turn _off_ the hyperthreading.
> > The F10 kernel threading will thrash royally doing stupid task swapping
> > as it seems to not understand that the second cpu is a fake one. There
> > is a kernel /proc flag to help this but I can't find it right now
> > (again).
>
> This is a really interesting suggestion.  I am using a true
> hyper-threading Pentium 4 with Fedora 10.  Is there a simple benchmark
> I could run on the LTSP server to compare before and after turning the
> hyper-threading on and off?  Something more objective than 'it feels
> faster'? :)

Other than loading up a room full of TC's and watching the performance
drag, not that I have used. It may be possible to launch multiple runs
of the same app across the room full with a timer running and helpers
doing the same procedure with HT on and off.

> > Also be sure to turn off EVERY process not actively used. Some are more
> > of a drain on cpu throughput (avahi, a zillion python applets running
> > desktop applets for notification - system monitor should be removed!! so
> > students won't load it up - it's a HOG)
>
> Is there a definitive list of processes that should be kept on, and
> everything else to be turned off?

That list is too variable based on system usage. The default setup
provides maximum availability of capabilities.

> Thank you
> Joseph

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering