[K12OSN] FireFox not responding

"Simón A. Ruiz" sruiz at canterburyschool.org
Wed Apr 22 13:13:06 UTC 2009

Mel Wade wrote:
> We continually get users who have messages saying that FireFox is
> already running and won't let them login.  If I delete the .mozilla
> folder in their Home directory everything is fine.  How can I keep this
> from happening in the future?
>
> --
> Mel Wade
> "A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely
> foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." -
> Douglas Adams
> http://www.melwade.com

Mel,

I'm surprised noone has mentioned the "parent.lock" or ".parentlock"
file that Firefox keeps in the profile directory to determine whether
it's running or not.

If Firefox dies or loses access to the profile (e.g. it's on a network
drive) before it removes that file (which it does during a normal,
orderly shutdown), it'll be there telling Firefox that the profile is
"in use".

Try finding and deleting that.

Simón