Re: [K12OSN] More feedback on Fedora 10 + LTSP

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

David Hopkins wrote:
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM, "Terrell Prudé Jr."
<microman cmosnetworks com> wrote:

I know you're at your wits' end here, and so is that teacher.  This is not
good.

Remind us what sound card is in these thin clients, would you?

--TP

Actually, the systems are Dell GX150's with either 256Mb or 512Mb of
memory..  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx150/en/ug/specs.htm#audio

Though, does that mean I might have the i810 video issue?  For
whatever reason, I thought the card was detected as an ati.  I have to
check this.

That sound card (looks like it's built-in) says it has SoundBlaster emulation, so when you were running it w/ K12LTSP 5EL, did you by chance try turning on "SOUND=Y" in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf, and also the setting from here?

  http://www.k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Technical:Sound

Something along these lines....

  SMODULE_01 = "sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1"

That sort of thing always worked for me with cards that supported SB emulation, including (especially!) the SoundBlaster 16 and the SoundBlaster AWE32/64 cards themselves.

--TP

Just did some more Googling.  Looks like the "sb" driver won't work, so try changing the "sb" in that SMODULE_01 line to "i810_audio".

If that doesn't work (let's hope that it does!), then here's why.  You know about "Winmodems" and "Winprinters"?  Well, it appears that the AD1885 sound chip is a "WinSound" chip that implements its brains in software like a Winmodem does.  I don't know if that's been remedied in recent times, i. e. there's now support in Linux 2.6.  Given that K12Linux's Fedora 10 kernel set supports these chips, the answer is "probably", but the RHEL/CentOS kernel is, remember, tried-and-tested v2.6.18.  Here's a link explaining the situation with that chip.

  http://fixunix.com/ubuntu/555161-sound-can-anyone-explain-please.html

One possible option would be to copy the newer LTSP kernel tree (it's in /tftpboot) from a K12Linux box over to a K12LTSP 5EL box and adjust your DHCP server's settings accordingly.  It's not too hard if you watch your typos.

That said, if you want sound to "Just Work," I'd seriously look into getting some Ensoniq AudioPCI cards, since these Dell GX150's appear to have only PCI slots (otherwise I'd suggest SoundBlaster 16 or AWE's).  Creative bought Ensoniq a while back and marketed a slightly updated version as "Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI".  All such cards work GREAT and should be pretty doggone cheap to pick up.  They're what I use, with both K12LTSP 4.2EL and 5EL, and I love 'em.

Here's a Google-search "shopping results" link.  Note that it's a long link and may word-wrap.  My search terms were as follows.

  "creative ensoniq" audiopci

  http://www.google.com/products?q=%22creative+ensoniq%22+audiopci&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=lFHvSeerHY_EMtyXxfQP&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=11&ct=title

Also check eBay.  They're pretty cheap there as well.

--TP