Re: [K12OSN] More feedback on Fedora 10 + LTSP

David Hopkins wrote:
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM, "Terrell Prudé Jr."
<microman cmosnetworks com> wrote:

That sound card (looks like it's built-in) says it has SoundBlaster
emulation, so when you were running it w/ K12LTSP 5EL, did you by chance try
turning on "SOUND=Y" in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf, and also the setting
from here?

  http://www.k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Technical:Sound

Something along these lines....

  SMODULE_01 = "sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1"

That sort of thing always worked for me with cards that supported SB
emulation, including (especially!) the SoundBlaster 16 and the SoundBlaster
AWE32/64 cards themselves.

Sound works at the client for some programs with LTSP4.2 but because
some packages want esd and some alsa, and some use others, it is
hit-or-miss whether a particular package will 'just work' without
having to worry about twiddling with settings for the package.  With
LTSP5 it seems that sound 'just works' for all the apps the teacher
wants to use. Also, videos stay in sync better.

Sorry if my post implied that sound didn't work at all.  It does work
but LTSP5 seems to work better.

Then you've gotta make a choice.  Personally, mine'd be for the one that *overall* works better.  If you're running into an Adobe Flash issue, then yup, that's Adobe.  Apparently they decided not to support sound servers, only kernel modules directly.

Another option might be to install K12LTSP 5EL without the stock LTSP 4.2 (but with the edu apps), and then install LTSP 5 from upstream www.ltsp.org.  This way you get LTSP 5 with the stability of CentOS.  I know that Warren might not like that idea, but you've got to get a system up and running and keep those teachers happy *now*.  Otherwise, they'll whine about "it works with Windows!" and our cause will be lost.

--TP