Re: [K12OSN] Re: More feedback on Fedora 10 + LTSP

On 04/22/2009 11:41 AM, Warren Togami wrote:
On 04/22/2009 10:08 AM, Sean Harbour wrote:
Also, some processes seem to hang around forever after a student logs
out. After a week, the process list "ps aux | wc -l" balloons from
173 with one user after a reboot to over 1500 with one user logged
in.

What processes specifically are persisting beyond logout?

/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop
pulseaudio daemon run by GNOME autostart from this file is not actually used by the thin client session. This pulseaudio runs /usr/libexec/pulse/gconf-helper, which can keep processes leftover after logout. In my tests however they seem to die within a minute of logout, but your logs indicate they sometimes don't.

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/pulseaudio/0.9.14/3.fc10/
I built a new pulseaudio for Fedora 10 that prevents pulseaudio daemon from running upon desktop login when it wouldn't be used due to PULSE_SERVER being set. This should improve it a little bit. Please upgrade this ON YOUR SERVER and let me know if it improves that part.

But it seems there are other bugs of other processes not dying after logout. Please identify those and tell the list.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com