[K12OSN] Installing a 1TB Drive on Centos 5

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Apr 23 20:14:58 UTC 2009

Carl Keil wrote:
> Hey People,
>
> Is there anything special I need to do to install and format a 1TB
> drive?  I installed a 500Gig drive on an older Fedora installation a
> while ago and it wouldn't see the whole drive until I increased the
> block size, I'm hoping I don't have to do that on this server.  Is a
> 1TB drive basically plug and play on 32 bit Centos 5.
>
> Also, how would you fdisk and format it?  Would you do anything
> special filesystem-wise?  I'm pretty new to >300 Gig drives.
> Thanks so much,
>
> ck

Shouldn't be anything special necessary.  I routinely do 1TB and 2TB
partitions on RAID arrays with CentOS and RHEL.  Your 1TB drive should
be plug 'n' chug.

Now, as to how to partition it, well, that depends on how you're going
to use this drive on this system.  Can you give us any details on that
so we can best advise you?

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate