[K12OSN] More feedback on Fedora 10 + LTSP

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:54:13 UTC 2009

David Hopkins wrote:

>> Does tuxmath normally use that insane amount of bandwidth?  70Mb/sec is
>> comparable to 320x240 30fps Youtube video.  Absolutely nothing other than
>> video in my experience using anything near that amount of bandwidth.
>
> In my experience, it has always been a huge bandwidth hog.

Yes, I think it just redraws the X frames as fast as it can to do the
animation.

>>> However, the switch still showed that the link between it and the
>>> server was 1000Mb/s.  So .. why is only about 1/10 of the bandwidth
>>> being used as far as iftop is concerned?
>> I have never used iftop before this, so I don't know how good it is.
>
> I have to admit that I like iftop for spot checking. Now, if I can
> actually trust the numbers it would be excellent :)

Didn't this start as a comparison with a better-working version of
k12ltsp (except for sound)?  While this sounds like a switch issue, if
that same hardware worked better with different software revs, maybe you
should focus on the specific differences.  What about the client side of
the network connections?  Any errors showing on ifconfig or the switch
ports there?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com