Re: [K12OSN] More feedback on Fedora 10 + LTSP

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:

Does tuxmath normally use that insane amount of bandwidth?  70Mb/sec is
comparable to 320x240 30fps Youtube video. Absolutely nothing other than
video in my experience using anything near that amount of bandwidth.

In my experience, it has always been a huge bandwidth hog.

Yup, it does! I've measured 73Mb/sec on my Cisco Catalyst switch with TuxType and similar numbers with TuxMath. Got similar numbers from the ifconfig and a stopwatch. That's why you need 100Mbps/FullDuplex on your clients, Gig-E on your server, and a clean, error-free network.

X11 is a wonderful protocol that allows LTSP to exist in the first place, but heavy screen updates do eat up bandwidth.

I think X has more efficient ways to make things move on the screen, but tuxmath doesn't use them.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com