[K12OSN] public school technology budgets

monteslu at cox.net monteslu at cox.net
Wed Apr 29 17:34:38 UTC 2009

Does anyone on the list have any idea what a typical yearly technology
budget is at a public K-6 or K-8?

I know this will vary wildy depending on districts, but I'm just looking
for a ballpark.

Over severaly years, I've volunteered at a private school building a
large network of about 70 thin clients for 200 or so students on very
little available for technology (about 10K per year) using ltsp and
other various other open source software.  Lately I haven't had much
time to spend on fixing some things and of course a few MS fanboy
parents have siezed the opportunity to say how much better off we'd be
using windows.

Any idea what kind of cash it takes to run a network that size on
windows? Not just inital hardware and software purchases, but ongooing
maintenance.
I'm not trying to make a case for either side, I just want everyone to
be aware of what it will cost them to buy machines and have someone to
maintain them while kids are using them?

I have no interest in volunteering hours in cleaning up spyware and
viruses from a bunch of windows computers with hard drives, so they'll
need to pay someone to do it.

Thanks,

Luis